Recipe by Across the Ocean
This came from a weekly newspaper I recieve. This is not your typical pepper steak. Every time I decide to make pepper steak for supper, my husband insists I do this one.
Top Review by ms.susan
I loved this recipe! It was simple to prepare and delicious! My changes, because I did not have the exact ingredients available. 4 cloves garlic 1 tsp molasses, 1tsp white sugar 2tsp Coleman's English mustard(hot!) Next time I would omit the brown sugar entirely because I find the ketchupand onions add enough sweetness. Anyway..overall a terrific recipe! The meat was VERY tender!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef pepper steak or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, (the original recipe stated 2 tsp. I cut it down due to reviews and I tried it again.)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet, add beef, sliced onion, garlic.
- Stir until meat browns and onions are soft.
- In a large bowl combine ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and water.
- Pour sauce over meat; cover and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours.