Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This came from a weekly newspaper I recieve. This is not your typical pepper steak. Every time I decide to make pepper steak for supper, my husband insists I do this one.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef pepper steak or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, (the original recipe stated 2 tsp. I cut it down due to reviews and I tried it again.)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Heat oil in large skillet, add beef, sliced onion, garlic.
- Stir until meat browns and onions are soft.
- In a large bowl combine ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and water.
- Pour sauce over meat; cover and simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours.
I loved this recipe! It was simple to prepare and delicious! My changes, because I did not have the exact ingredients available. 4 cloves garlic 1 tsp molasses, 1tsp white sugar 2tsp Coleman's English mustard(hot!) Next time I would omit the brown sugar entirely because I find the ketchupand onions add enough sweetness. Anyway..overall a terrific recipe! The meat was VERY tender!
I would have given this five stars but it was too salty. Because of the soy sauce, I doubt if it needs salt at all. Otherwise, it had a wonderful flavor, and the stew meat came out very tender (falling apart) after only 1.5 hours. I didn't have onions so I used extra garlic and dried minced onions. Toward the end, I added frozen peas, brought it to a boil and simmered uncovered for the last fifteen minutes to thicken the sauce. I served it over brown basmati rice. Yum!
This is a definite 5 star here. Easy to make, awesome flavor a definite keeper! Very tasty!! THanks Across the ocean