Recipe by Ashley U
I received this recipe from a restaurant in Portland, Oregon.
Top Review by botmom
The soup was very good, VERY thick. I halved it, and it was still probably enough for 20! I also used chicken broth rather than water, and skipped the salt. Next time, I will quarter the recipe, and maybe use less roux, so it is not as thick, but otherwise, very good!
- 1 lb butter, plus 2 pounds for roux
- 6 cups chopped yellow onions
- 10 lbs mushrooms
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- 1 cup paprika
- 2 cups tamari
- 2 gallons water
- 2 lbs butter
- 6 cups flour
- 1 gallon milk
- 1 3⁄4 gallons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 pound of butter.
- Add onion, and sauté until wilted.
- Add mushrooms, sauté until juices are released.
- Add dill, paprika, and mix well.
- Add tamari, water, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- In a large stockpot, make roux using 2 pounds butter and flour, cook 10 minutes.
- Drain some water from soup and beat into roux in stockpot until smooth.
- IMPORTANT- you will get flour lumps if you try to skip this step!
- Add water-smoothed roux to kettle.
- Add milk and simmer until it thickens again, coating back of spoon.
- Turn off heat, beat in sour cream until well blended, then beat in salt and pepper.