Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Eat this soup version of goulash with plenty of rye bread.
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cubed (I use chuck)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 large onions, coarse chop
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon marjoram (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, thickly sliced (or other spicy sausage)
- 1 (1 lb) canpeeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- salt & pepper
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1 1/2 T butter and brown beef.
- Transfer to heavy kettle.
- Deglaze skillet with a little of the stock& add ccoking liquid to beef.
- Heat rest of butter in same skillet; saute onion until soft& yellow, about 5 min.
- Add paprika, marjoram& caraway; blend well, then add mixture along w/sausage, tomatoes& juice, sugar and the rest of the stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 1 hr.
- Add cabbage, potatoes, S&P; cook until beef& potatoes are tender, about 45 min.