Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from a local Chinese restaurant near my hometown.
Make and share this Hunan-Style Hot and Spicy Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 3 small hot chili peppers, sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon ginger, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (light is the best)
- 2 lbs chicken pieces, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (light is the best)
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoons szechwan pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large bowl, mix ginger slices, sherry vinegar and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Marinate chicken pieces for 30 minutes in soy sauce marinade.
- Grind Sichuan pepper to powder and add to mixing bowl. Mix in the chicken broth, 2 tbsp soy sauce, wine, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy frying pan. Add sliced green onion and chili peppers and stir fry for one minute.
- Add soy marinade and chicken to scallions and hot pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add chicken broth mixture and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until chicken pieces are fully cooked (8-10 minutes) stirring frequently. Add cornstarch to thicken. Serve with rice.