Recipe by Sharon123
Make your own oat milk! This is a great tasting option that can be made very quickly and easily from 3 simple whole ingredients: oats, salt and water. You do need to soak the oats overnight, so start soaking the night before you plan to make it. There are several benefits associated with drinking oat milk, including prevention of cancer, stroke and heart disease. Oat milk has no lactose or cholesterol, and is full of vitamin E, fiber and folate. Unlike other dairy alternatives, oat milk can be made easily (and cheaply) at home. Oat milk also contains thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, zinc, copper and manganese. From Veggies and Me.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 6 1⁄2 cups cold filtered water (1 1/2 liters-less for thicker milk)
- 1 pinch salt (himalayan recommended-I used sea salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all ingredients to a large clean bowl and soak over night covered with a cloth.
- Use a blender or stick blender to whiz the ingredients thoroughly (about 2 minutes).
- Strain the milk through a fine sieve or muslin cloth into a bowl.
- Store in a clean glass jar in the fridge.
- Will keep for several days.
- You can add cinnamon, vanilla, honey, etc. to sweeten it up and give more flavor or leave plain to use for cooking.