Houston's is one of my favorite restaurants, if anything, for the simplicity and consistency of their dishes. Here is one of my favorites. You can serve these without the remoulade and they are just as good!
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons green sweet relish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the tops and ends of leaves from the artichokes, cut in half lengthwise and remove the fuzzy choke. Squeeze a bit of lemon on immediately to prevent browning. If preparing artichokes ahead of time, place them in a bowl of lemon water until ready to boil. If unsure how to properly prep an artichoke, look online for an easy demonstration.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Add artichokes to boiling water, and cook for about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon wedges into a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil and garlic, and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the artichokes with a coating of the garlic dip, and place them on the preheated grill.
- Grill the artichokes for 5 to 10 minutes, basting with dip and turning frequently, until the tips are a little charred. Serve immediately with remoulade.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for several hours prior to serving.
Houston's grilled artichokes are one of my wife's favorite dishes. This recipe NAILS it. If you aren't a mayo fan (I am. My wife ... not so much) you can substitute plain yogurt, sour cream, or some combination of the two. Thank you to whoever posted this recipe!
This is Houston's/Hillstone's Grilled Artichokes w/out a doubt, so easy to make, we made extra of the lemon/garlic artichoke grill sauce and put it on Orzo as well. such a good recipe, I saved this one to enjoy over and over again