Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Seriously meaty, these delectable sausages go down a treat with Rick Stein's refreshingly light salad.
- 4 Toulouse sausages
- flaked sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
For the salad
- 4 vine-ripened beef tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the mustard and garlic dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 6 tablespoons sunflower oil
- For the dressing, whisk the mustard, vinegar and garlic together in a small bowl, then very gradually whisk in the oil to make a thick, emulsified dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set to one side.
- Grill or fry the sausages for 8 minutes, turning them over now and then, until nicely browned all over.
- Meanwhile, overlap the tomato slices on a large, oval platter and sprinkle with a few sea salt flakes and ground black pepper. Scatter over the shallots and the capers.
- Lift the sausages onto a board and slice each one on the diagonal into 4 pieces. Whisk 2 tablespoons of warm water into the dressing to loosen it a little, then drizzle over the salad.
- Arrange the sausages randomly over the top of the tomatoes, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve while the sausages are still hot.