Hot Diggedy Dogs! Bonfire Bangers in Wraps (Hot Dogs/Sausages)
A deliciously different way of serving up Hot Dogs for Bonfire Night or Halloween! Choose your favourite bangers or dogs, mine are high meat content Lincolnshire sausages with herbs, then oven bake them for ease with sticky roasted mustard coated onions - all in one pan! Serve with lashings of tomato relish or tomato ketchup for a great comfort dish on the run! The great thing about this recipe is that it can also be kept warm in the oven, whilst the spooky activities are in action, or dad is still trying to light the DAMP fireworks in the garden!! If you are serving this to little ones who may not like the mustard, just leave it out and add a little tomato puree instead for a tomatoey onion taste. (Edited and adapted from a Good Food recipe, 2007)
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 large pork sausages (or sausages of your choice) or 6 large beef sausages (or sausages of your choice)
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon mild dijon whole grain mustard
- 6 big flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons tomato relish or 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- paper napkin, to serve
- Preheat the oven to Fan180C/ conventional 200C/400F/gas 6. Pour the oil into the tin and put it in the oven for a couple of minutes to heat up. Add the sausages to the hot tin and roast for 10 minutes.
- Push the sausages to the outer edges of the tin and scatter the sliced onion in the centre.
- Stir the wholegrain Dijon mustard through the the onion slices, and then add some salt and pepper; turn them to coat in the hot oil at the bottom of the tin.
- Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the sliced onions are golden and the sausages are completely cooked through.
- Briefly heat the flour tortillas in the oven, microwave or in a dry frying pan to make them softer and easier to roll.
- Place a sausage and some onion mixture on each one, top with a spoonful of relish and roll, folding the bottom over. Serve straight away, wrapped in paper napkins.