Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, plus
- 2 teaspoons sauce adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup instant masa harina
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- olive oil, for brushing
- In a medium saucepan, add rice and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion, bell pepper, corn, chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, cumin and salt - cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring a couple times, about 12-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together masa harina and broth - stir into the vegetable mixture in the skillet, recover and continue to cook over low for 10 more minutes. Stir the mixture once or twice during this time.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked rice, cilantro, lime juice and zest. Let cool for about 20 minutes. Using wet hands, evenly divide the mixture into 8 portions and form each into a burger shape. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill. Lightly brush the patties with olive oil - place on the grill and cook until golden and crusty on each side, about 7 minutes per.