Recipe by Kit^..^ty Of Canada
I always have sausage in the freezer. This is a recipe that the family really enjoys. I serve it with Caesar salad and garlic bread. From Hot Italian Dish by Victoria Gotti.
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage link
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb pappardelle pasta (use fresh pasta if possible)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the sausage breaking the meat into crouton size chunks and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium to high heat,
- Saute the onion for about 3 1/2 minutes stirring occasionally or until onion turns translucent.
- Stir in the sausage meat and saute for about 6 minutes or until the sausage is thoroughly cooked.
- Drain excess fat from skillet.
- Add the white wine stirring constantly and increase the heat to high.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt.
- Cover the skillet and let the mixture return to a boil.
- Simmer at a reduced heat for 20 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the oregano, pepper and basil.
- Add extra salt and pepper if necessary.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to the package directions or until al dente taking care to add salt to the boiling water.
- Drain the pasta once cooked.
- Return the drained pasta to the pot.
- Over medium heat stir in 1 cup of the sausage sauce and toss together.
- Remove the pasta from the heat.
- Transfer it to a large platter and spoon the remaining sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the top with grated cheese to taste.