Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe from the issue of November 2005 of Coup de Pouce. It looks so good on the photo. Can't wait to see a photo of one of you ;)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped (1 lb)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 19 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 kaiser rolls, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil at medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until liquid of mushrooms have evaporated.
- Add ground beef, chili seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until beef is not pink anymore. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar, bring to boil smashing the tomatoes with a potato-masher. Reduce the heat and let simmer, uncovered, for about 12 minutes or until preparation has thicken.
- Meanwhile, toast kaiser bread. Put mushroom preparation on bottom of inferior kaiser. Cover with swiss cheese and the top of the kaiser.
What's not to love??!!! We loved it!! Did add some dried pepper flakes to add some spices to the mix and used a 24 ounce can of diced tomatoes as I used more mushrooms than written. Thanks France! ;)
DH and I agreed that there was just something missing in this combination of flavors. Don't have a clue what, but it just didn't come together for us. A little on the tart size. I made as written except did not have kaiser rolls so used hamburger buns and provolone cheese instead of the swiss. Thanks France. Made for Spring Spectacular
Great sandwich! Reminded me of a sloppy joe but with more. I did have to adjust a few things just to use what we had. I used baby bella mushrooms, half red pepper and half green pepper and instead of the stewed tomatoes I used petite diced tomatoes. All in all, don't think I really changed the recipe much and we loved it! I think this would even be good served over pasta or with tortilla chips. Very hearty meal and perfect for today's rain. For the buns I used California Jan's Onion Rolls, Bread Machine. Thanks Boomette!!!!