Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from the issue of November 2005 of Coup de Pouce. It looks so good on the photo. Can't wait to see a photo of one of you ;)
Top Review by Redsie
What's not to love??!!! We loved it!! Did add some dried pepper flakes to add some spices to the mix and used a 24 ounce can of diced tomatoes as I used more mushrooms than written. Thanks France! ;)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped (1 lb)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 19 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 kaiser rolls, sliced in half horizontally
- 4 slices swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil at medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until liquid of mushrooms have evaporated.
- Add ground beef, chili seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until beef is not pink anymore. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar, bring to boil smashing the tomatoes with a potato-masher. Reduce the heat and let simmer, uncovered, for about 12 minutes or until preparation has thicken.
- Meanwhile, toast kaiser bread. Put mushroom preparation on bottom of inferior kaiser. Cover with swiss cheese and the top of the kaiser.