Recipe by Bullscreeker
This is a copycat version of a dish served by a local diner in central Pennsylvania. My mom & dad used to always go there specifically to order this meal, until my mom finally nailed the recipe. It has quickly become a family favorite and a regular meal that I have to make for DH... This gravy is very flavorful and especially delicious over shoestring french fries!
Top Review by Lynne from Wisconsin
I have a friend who loves open-faced hot roast beef sandwiches from various diners throughout the area. Rather than do yet another carry-out, I looked and found this wonderful recipe that mimics well the type of sandwich served in diners in our area. I used a rump roast and, after 10 hours, it was very tender and yielded over 4 cups broth (I left it fat side up in the crock pot - removed extra fat when it was done cooking). The gravy was good -- however, probably added less than 1 cup flour/water -- and would add even less next time. My friend thought it was excellent (thank you!). I used salt-free bouillon packet -- may try "Better than Bouillon" next time for a bit richer flavor. The crockpot made this really easy (no roasting pan/meat thermometers/etc.) Thanks for posting!
- 1 (3 -4 lb) beef roast
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 4 -5 cups broth (from roast)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons gravymaster or 2 teaspoons browning sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef roast, water, dry onion soup mix and as much salt/pepper as desired in crock pot and cook on low for 9-10 hours.
- Whisk flour and water together for gravy until smooth and set aside.
- When roast is tender and done, pour broth into a saucepan and bring to boil on stove top.
- Add 2 beef bouillon cubes and Gravymaster to boiling broth.
- Then add flour and water mixture to boiling broth until desired consistency is reached for your gravy.
- Cut up beef roast and arrange pieces between two slices of bread.
- Smother sandwich (and french fries) with gravy and ENJOY!