Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
a savoury hot appetizer, good for fall parties. prep time includes chill time.
Make and share this Hot Mushroom Turnovers recipe from Food.com.
- Using an electric mixer, mix cream cheese, 1/2 c butter and flour until a soft dough forms.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Saute mushrooms and onions in 3 tbsp butter until tender.
- Mix in salt, thyme, pepper and 2 tbsp flour.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream and then chill.
- On floured surface, roll half of dough very thinly in a large circle and cut into twenty 2 3/4" circles.
- Add scraps back into other half of dough.
- For each of the circles: place a teaspoonful of mushroom mixture then brush half of the edge with egg, and fold the other half over filling.
- Press the edges together with a fork and prick the top to let out any steam.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush tops lightly with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake turnovers for 12 minutes or until golden.
This was a joint effort. My mom helped me make these. The pastry was really simple to make and easy to roll out. The filling was just delicious--couldn't help but give it a little taste test. This was somewhat time consuming but the results were well worth it. The turnovers baked to a nice golden brown and tasted divine. Thanks SherryF.
This is a great appetizer that I have been making for years. There is a bit of work involved so I usually just make them around Christmas time when I know I will be having lots of people dropping in. They freeze very well.
I still have this recipe that I tore out of a magazine in 1982, so you can tell how long I have been making these turnovers. They are a litttle bit time consuming, but so worth the effort. The crust is flaky and filling is creamy - they just melt in your mouth! I only use 8 oz of cream cheese for the pastry as that is what the original recipe called for. Make sure to bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet. They also freeze very well. Just prepare up to the point of baking, place the turnovers on the cookie sheet into the freezer and freeze until firm. Then remove from the freezer and wrap. When ready to use, bake as directed just adding a few extra minutes to the bake time.