Recipe by *Pixie*
a savoury hot appetizer, good for fall parties. prep time includes chill time.
Top Review by bella214
This was a joint effort. My mom helped me make these. The pastry was really simple to make and easy to roll out. The filling was just delicious--couldn't help but give it a little taste test. This was somewhat time consuming but the results were well worth it. The turnovers baked to a nice golden brown and tasted divine. Thanks SherryF.
- 9 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Using an electric mixer, mix cream cheese, 1/2 c butter and flour until a soft dough forms.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Saute mushrooms and onions in 3 tbsp butter until tender.
- Mix in salt, thyme, pepper and 2 tbsp flour.
- Remove from heat, stir in sour cream and then chill.
- On floured surface, roll half of dough very thinly in a large circle and cut into twenty 2 3/4" circles.
- Add scraps back into other half of dough.
- For each of the circles: place a teaspoonful of mushroom mixture then brush half of the edge with egg, and fold the other half over filling.
- Press the edges together with a fork and prick the top to let out any steam.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Brush tops lightly with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake turnovers for 12 minutes or until golden.