Recipe by Dee514
This easy, yummy recipe comes from Good Housekeeping Magazine. Its easy to mix up a batch and will keep up to 6 months at room temperature, in a tightly sealed container. Place mixture in a decorative jar or tin for gift giving.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
What a very delicious mix to make at home! After whipping this together, I made some of it as hot chocolate/cocoa for myself & some of it as mocha for my coffee-loving other half! Both of us, extremely satisfied with the results! Thanks for posting a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the current Cumfort Cafe event]
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream (optional) or miniature marshmallow (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend cocoa, sugar, chocolate and salt in a food processor using the knife blade.
- Process until almost a smooth powder.
- Be careful not to over process it.
- You should end up with about 3 1/2 cups of cocoa mix.
- Prepare cocoa mix as directed above, adding 1/3 cup instant coffee powder or granules to the mixture before blending all in the processor.
- Mexican Spice.
- Prepare cocoa mix as directed above, adding 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) to the mixture before blending all in the processor.
- Prepare cocoa mix as directed above, adding half a vanilla bean (pod and seeds) to the mixture before blending all in the processor.
- To Make hot cocoa:.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of cocoa mix and 1 cup of milk to a microwave-safe mug, stir to mix.
- Microwave on High power for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until blended and hot, stirring once.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream or a few mini-marshmallows if desired.
- NOTE: Because everyone's microwave is different, watch carefully while microwaving (the first time) to prevent spillovers. Adjust microwaving time accordingly for your unit.