Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chinese hot and sour shrimp cooks quickly so need to have all ingredients ready before heating up the wok. Marinating time in not included in prep time (8-24 hours). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1983)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine (or rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or corn oil)
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1⁄4 lb snow peas, ends cut off and strings removed
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and sliced (1/8-inch rounds)
- 2 tablespoons chinese fermented black beans (with salt--do not use ones seasoned with 5-spice powder)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil (or corn oil)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, disolved in
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chicken broth
- To make marinade: Combine 1 tablespoon sherry (or rice wine), 1 tablespoon oil, egg white and 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch in processor and mix until smooth and thick (under 1 minute).
- Transfer to medium bowl or mariniating dish.
- Add shrimp and toss.
- Cover and chill overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Cook snow peas in boiling water 5 seconds.
- Drain and rinse.
- Add snow peas to carrots and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine black beans, chopped green onion, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes and set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients (chicken broth- soy sauce) and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine 4 cups water and 1 tablespoon oil and bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp mixture to saucepan, cook 1 minute or until shrimp is partially cooked.
- Heat wok over high heat and add 3 tablespoons oil, swirling wok to coat pan with oil.
- Reduce heat to medium high.
- Heat until garlic foams when dropped in pan.
- Add black bean/ginger mixture to wok and stir for 10-15 seconds.
- Add carrots to wok, cooking for 15 seconds before adding snow peas.
- Toss gently and cook another 10 seconds.
- Add sauce to wok.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring well.
- Cover wok and simmer 20 seconds.
- Add shrimp to wok, swirling and stirring to combine with other ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook for another 10-15 seconds or until mixture is thickened.
Outstanding flavor in this dish! My husband and I wiped out the whole batch, served over steamed jasmine rice. While I was making it, I thought I would only give 4 stars, but after tasting it....5 all the way. Just a couple of minor problems....step #8 says to combine a bunch of ingredients, including garlic, but no garlic is mentioned in the ingredient list. I used two cloves and it was great. I also had to increase the cooking times for the shrimp and vegetables. I rinsed the salt off of the fermented black beans, as I usually do when using them, and mashed them up a little...don't leave them out, they really add a lot to this dish. We loved this Ellie, thanks for the recipe!