Recipe by AJsMOM
This is different from any other honey-ginger chicken recipe I have seen on here. It has 1/3 cup hot sauce in it...so it has a little KICK! The sweet and the hot work fabulously together and always impress company! This is a favorite of mine ever since my late aunt first cooked it for me 15 years ago. Brown or white rice works well on the side...you need something to help soak up all the yummy sauce!
Top Review by Honeybunnygal
Great, flavorful recipe! I made a few changes, due to preferences. First, I only used butter in the pan & increased it to 4 Tbs. I also added 1/4 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp paprika to the dredge. I used chicken breast (about 2lbs) and cut it up into bite size pieces. Due to the amount of chicken, I cooked on one side for 20 minutes, then turned over the pieces to cook an additional 12 minutes. Two out of three people here don't like spicy foods (including myself), so I omitted the hot sauce. I also replaced the soy sauce with Worcestershire sauce, and increased the honey to 1/2 cup. I baked it the same 15 minutes after adding the honey sauce. Served hot with rice & broccoli. It was great!<br/>Although the chicken wasn't salty, I felt like I could've cut the salt down from 3/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp without losing flavor. This was probably because I used less meat. Still, this recipe is a winner!
- 3 tablespoons Crisco
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs chicken legs-thighs
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup hot sauce (Louisiana style)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425. Melt Crisco and butter in 9x13 pan in oven.
- Combine flour, salt, ginger, pepper. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- Add chicken to hot pan, skin side down. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn pieces over and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Whisk together honey, hot sauce, soy sauce.
- Drain butter/fat from pan and pour honey mixture over the chicken and bake 15 more minutes, basting often.
- Serve hot, or refrigerate and serve chilled. (I prefer it hot next too some fluffy rice!).