Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've never even heard of a "honey cake" until I found this recipe on a piece of paper.
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 whole lemon (juice and rind)
- 1 whole orange (juice and rind)
- 5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In a saucepan, combine coffee-honey mixture, bring to a boil and cool.
- Beat eggs well, add melted and cooled shortening or oil, add fruit rind and juices.
- Add pre-sifted dry ingredients alternately with coffee/honey mixture.
- Bake in a 9 x 12 baking pan in a moderate oven(350 degrees) for about 1-1/4 hours.