Prep 18 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Delicious served on a winter's day with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (use less or omit depending on your sweet tooth)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch metal loaf pan.
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat honey, sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until blended, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in dry ingredients in 2 additions.
- Beat in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir in raisins.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack; cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap cake and store at room temperature.).
This is a nice, flavorful quick bread/cake that goes perfectly with a cup of tea on a brisk day! Even though I used the full amount of sugar, it was not too sweet. One thing I was disappointed in was that all the raisins sunk to the bottom during baking, and I'm not sure why. The batter is rather a thin one, which might be the reason. Anyway, I enjoyed this just the same. Made for Newest Zaar Tag Game.