Prep 9 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the best homemade pudding recipe I've ever used, it tastes better than store-bought, and it's fairly easy to make. NOTE: you can use splenda in place of sugar for a "lite" version.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (massive tablespoons)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 -6 tablespoon sifted cocoa powder (ONLY if you are making chocolate pudding)
- candied orange
- butter cookie
- whipped cream
- In a pot(or the microwave) get all 3 cups of milk scalding.
- Whilst the milk boils; separate the eggs and discard the whites (if desired, you can set aside for an omlette or a meringue)and beat the cornstarch and sugar in the bowl with the egg yolks. It will have a hard time coming together at first; but keep whisking, it'll get there.
- Keep milk very hot. Pour all of the egg yolk mixture into the scalding milk and beat vigorously until the mixture seems completely liquified. Add the salt, vanilla extract, and butter. Keep whisking until butter is well incorporated.
- Keep warm and continuosly stir until the pudding thickens. Once thick (if making chocolate) add the sifted cocoa powder and stir until well incorporated.
- Serve warm or refridgerate for 2 hrs (preferred) and serve with or without garnish.
Very good. The calories are wrong. It would be 466 for all 4 cups which is not hard to eat the whole thing. Corn starch is 488 calories for one cup and this is 3 tablespoons. Milk is only 100 calories for one cup. One cup of the pudding is alittle over 100 calories.