Recipe by Dave Salch
This is a family style one dish meal that should be healthy and easy to make. You can adjust the flavors as desired. Be creative with this one, you can add or delete almost anything.
- 2 lbs frozen ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons garlic
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can okra, drained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (32 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice, elbow paste
- 1⁄2 cup rigatoni whole wheat pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large skillet brown the turkey in olive oil, then add the garlic and onion. Use medium heat until onion is tender and turkey has some chunks crispy brown.
- Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, basil, and bay leaves. then add in the chicken stock.
- Add all the vegetables and bring this to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once the mixture is boiling, add the pasta.
- Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook uncovered another 10 minutes, until the mixture is as thick as desired.
- Great served topped with some ketchup, and sprinkled with Tabasco if you like spicy!