Recipe by Olha
A tasty sauce to have on hand. Great for pasta.
Top Review by Fighting Irish #7
Great way to use up those extra tomatoes from the garden. Smells great while cooking - nice blend of ingredients. It was a bit too sweet, I think because I used garden fresh tomatoes that are sweet all by themselves, so next time I would add less sugar. Thanks for sharing!!!!
- 4 1⁄2 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled, stem ends and cores removed, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium onions, very finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium high, stirring often. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until thickened to desired sauce consistency.
- Add more salt if needed.
- Pour into hot sterilized pint jars to within 1/2 inch from top.
- Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely.
- For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes.
- If you would rather, this may be cooled, poured into containers leaving 1 inch head space and frozen. Makes 3 1/2 pints.
- MEATY SPAGHETTI SAUCE: Brown 2 1/4 pounds lean ground beef. Add to Tomato Sauce. Stir. Freeze in 2 cups containers.