Canned Fresh Basil Tomato Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Add oil to 6 quart pot. Mince the onion and garlic in a food processor and sauté in the oil until transparent. Add the basil and parsley; remove from heat set aside.
- Peel tomatoes by dipping them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove the core and process until like juice. Add them to the pot with the onions. add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
- Cook on low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring often.
- When sauce is done, ladle into hot jars to within 1/2 inch from top of jar. Clean the rim and seal.
- Process for 45 minutes in water bath.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a delicious tomato sauce. I doubled the recipe using 60 roma tomatoes. I also added 2 can of tomato paste while it was cooking because it didn't have the thickness I wanted. I added a few extra cloves of garlic and about 1/2 cup of olive oil to the sauce. Doubling this recipe gave me 6 - 1 litre jars.
I liked this recipe for ease of preparation. I did however kick it up a notch by increasing the garlic to 6 cloves, adding an additional 2 Tbsp of basil and a few red pepper flakes. I also was not comfortable with not canning this, so I added 2 TBSP lemon juice and 1 tsp brown sugar per quart, then processed at 11 lbs for 20 minutes. Will try and thicken sauce more next time
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have 6 children 4 boys and 2 girl,ilove to cook and try lots of different foods,my real name is Britt and i live in louisiana i like to collect recipes,cookbooks,dolls,and angels,i just started having a intrest in teacups and teapots,i also like amish rag dolls.