Vodka Basil Tomato Sauce
Tangy and rich tomato and basil sauce.
- Ready In:
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄3 cups vodka
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Sautee diced onions and garlic in butter on medium heat for 7 minutes. Add vodka and bring to boil then reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes on low.
- Add tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and half and half then allow to simmer for another 10 minutes on low to low medium heat.
- Finish sauce by adding chopped fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- This sauce goes well with seafood, pasta, and chicken.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Outstanding flavors! I made the sauce exactly as written. I used ground white pepper instead of the coursely ground black I usually use. This will be an excellent sauce for the baked chicken we're doing for dinner tonight. Thanks so much Taterbug! Reviewed for Spring 08 PAC. **This was saved in my Top 2008 Recipes Cookbook!
Fabulous! We grilled chicken breasts, made some pasta, added this sauce nd wa-la - had a fantastic main course! With parmesan triangles so expensive now, I used grated (from deli) and a full cup. After sauting onions, garlic, and vodka for specified time, remaining ingrediants were added all at once. Also added a sprinkling of oregano for slight depth and body in the flavor, but it's not needed (I'm a hopeless recipe experiementer.) This one will be made again and again! Thanks Taterbug!