My Mum taught me how to do these when I was about ten years old - I remember helping her pick the roses! I try to have a good store of crystallised rose petals, as they are such an imginative, beautiful and edible decoration for cakes and desserts etc. Make sure your rose petals are free from pesticides and are not traffic polluted either. The more the fragrant the rose, the more fragrant the taste when you eat them! I have given these as gifts before, in an attractive tin and with an attached recipe hanging from the ribbon - unusual and yet edible! They are wonderful as decorations for my Gorgeous Little Butterfly Cakes or Fairy Cakes!.
- Please note, in order to have this recipe posted, I had to put in quantities - they are approximate, depending on how many petals you are crystallising!
- Use a fork to lightly beat the egg white and use the paint brush to ensure all surfaces of the petal is then covered. Use the tweezers to hold the petal.
- Then dust the petal evenly with the sugar, place on the baking parchment/greaseproof paper so they are not touching and leave to dry in a warm room.
- It will take approx 2 hours to dry.
- Store them in an airtight tin, in between greasepoof paper for up to 3-4 months.
- Use the rose petals to decorate cakes, trifles and desserts.
- These make a wonderful gift also!