1/1 Photo of Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Chef Frenchflair's Note:
My mother makes this soup all without measurements. The first time I tried this soup my knees went weak. Nothing beats the aromatic scent of the fresh thyme which always reminds me of cool nights in the fall when soup is just the right thing to warm your bones. I will try to put in, as accurate as possible measurements, but descriptives will be easier for me.
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large portabella mushrooms
- 4 ounces white mushrooms (approx. 6 med. size)
- 1 cup vidalia onion (spanish or cooking onion is fine also)
- 2 cups chicken broth (approx)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (approx)
- 4 tablespoons butter, margarine or 4 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1Slice all the mushrooms and cut up slices into small pieces.
- 2Chop onion.
- 3On medium heat, melt butter (I prefer margarine), saute onion until transparent.
- 4Add mushrooms, saute until soft.
- 5Add in thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne (optional).
- 6Add flour to mushroom mixture to create roue, stir in well, texture should be pasty but not gluey.
- 7Add in chicken broth till covered but enough that it's not watery but still has a thickness to the broth, stir while pouring to give proper consistency.
- 8Add in cream, and for a lighter version substitute with milk. Bring to a quick boil then reduce to simmer until thickened. Adjust seasoning to taste if necessary. Served great with a nice baguette for dunking! Enjoy!
- 9Add in soya sauce, it nicely balances out the colour and flavour.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.8
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.9 mg
- Sodium 1590.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g