Delicious Cream of Reuben Soup
If you are a lover of sauerkraut then you will *love* this soup! --- add the croutons they go very well with the soup.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 lb corned beef, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can chopped sauerkraut, drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- crouton (to garnish, or use toasted pumpernickel or rye bread cubes)
- In a large Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat; add in the onion, garlic, thyme, tarragon and dried chili flakes (if using) saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the broth, corned beef, sauerkraut, shredded carrots and bay leaf; bring to a boil and simmer for about 40-45 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the cornstarch with water until smooth; stir into the simmering soup, boil, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Remove bay leaf, then add in the shredded cheese and whipping cream; stir until the cheese melts.
- Ladle in bowls and top with croutons or toasted bread cubes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
we liked it, but did not love it. DH thought the tarragon was weird, added a licorice taste that "did not fit". next time i make, i will sprinkle the swiss cheese to the top of the soup, because it did not melt well and made the soup stringy. it will be made again, because we both love sauerkraut and Reuben sandwiches.
One of the best soups I've ever made, thanks Kittencal! Definitely for sauerkraut lovers. I used corned beef from the deli, but next time I think I'll make it with leftover corned beef from an Irish dinner. I didn't add the chili flakes, but might add a few next time. Used a 15 ounce can of sauerkraut, next time I'll try to find the 10. Sliced the carrots finely instead of shredding, might try shredding next time if I have the energy and will add 1 or 2 more (we love carrots). A delicious and surprisingly healthy soup!<br/><br/>ETA: I made this a second time and used a bag of shredded swiss, but it didn't melt very well and got clumpy. I think I'll have to shred the cheese myself from now on. Stilll wonderfully delcious!