Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
You need this for LOTS of Italian dishes. You can make it ahead of time and freeze it.
- 3 lbs whole chickens, without the liver
- 2 small carrots, peeled and quartered
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium white onions, quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup zinfindel white wine
- 3⁄4 tablespoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 quarts water
- Place all the ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, with the lid slightly ajar, for 2 hours. Skim any foam that rises to the top every 30 minute.
- Remove the chicken and set aside to use in another recipe. Strain the stock through a fine sieve lined with cheesecloth. Place in the refrigerator until the next day. All the fat will rise to the top, harden, and become solid white. Skim it off and discard.
- The stock will keep up to 4 days refrigerated and for 1 month if frozen.