1/27 Photos of Home-Baked Bagels
2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
These bagels are better than any store bought or frozen varieties. They are so fresh and the possibilities are endless :) Have lots of real butter and cream cheese on hand! Oh...and you might want to double the recipe...they never last long around here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 1/2 ounces sugar (you need a kitchen scale for this)
- 1/2 ounce salt (you need a kitchen scale for this)
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 quarts water, to boil
- 1 egg white
- cinnamon (optional)
- raisins (optional)
- poppy seed (optional)
- dried onion or garlic (optional)
- sesame seeds (Optional)
- 1Mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
- 2Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl and add the yeast mixture.
- 3Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour (If making cinnamon raisin bagels, add these to dough now).
- 4Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if needed, dough should be firm.
- 5Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
- 6After rising punch down and divide dough into 12 balls.
- 7Allow to rest for 4 minutes.
- 8Bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
- 9With your thumb, make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape.
- 10Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 11Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.
- 12Lower heat under water for it to be simmering.
- 13Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.
- 14Drain and place on greased baking sheets.
- 15Brush tops with beaten egg white and top with optional toppings.
- 16Bake for 35 minutes, turning once for even browning.
- 17Bagels are done when they are golden brown and shiny.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Home-Baked Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (2818 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.7
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 472.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 4.5 g