Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If persimmons are not ripe, place the fruit in the freezer ovenight or longer. Thaw at room temperature and use. This recipe comes from the Napa Valley.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very ripe persimmon, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup dates or 1 cup raisins (or both mixed)
- 1 cup walnuts
- Mix dry ingredients, except dates and nuts.
- In another bowl, place mashed persimmons and add milk,lemon juice,and vanilla,and mix.
- Combine the two mixtures.
- When well blended add the butter and dates.
- Mix to distribute,but,do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a buttered 8x8x2 inch cake pan.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven 50 to 60 minutes,or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- The edges should be rather crusty.
- Good served with whipped cream.