Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nearly no fat combination of sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, pineapple, bananas and apples. It's a tasty dish to serve at holiday get togethers for those watching their fat intake. I have put it together a few hours ahead and kept it in the frig. Just soak the apples and bananas in some orange juice for a few minutes before doing so.
- 1 (48 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 4 tart apples, cored,peeled,sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 (16 ounce) cansunsweetened sliced pineapple, juice reserved
- 4 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Layer 1/3 of the sweet potatoes in the bottom of the prepared dish; continue layering with 1/2 the apples, pineapple, bananas and cranberry sauce; sprinkle with half the mixed brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Layer with another 1/3 of the sweet potatoes and top with the remaining apples, pineapple, bananas, cranberry sauce, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Top with the remaining sweet potatoes; drizzle the reserved pineapple juice over the whole casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes; uncover and bake for another 15 minutes until the casserole is hot and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
This was very good; a nice combination of texture and flavors. I wanted more sweet potatoes to the ratio of fruit, so I used almost 2 large cans. Also thought it may be a bit sweet, so I eliminated the brown sugar altogether, and I didn't use the banana. The whole dish looks very festive and colorful! Yummy!