Sweet Spicy Cucumber Salad
- Ready In:
- 4 large cucumbers, seeded and diced, peel if desired
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Place cucumbers, onion and minced jalapenos in a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture and toss well to coat.
- Chill at least 3 hours before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I didn't use the cayenne, the cumin or the cilantro. I used red onion, shallot and poblano pepper and reduced the sugar to 1/3. What I did was heat the vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a sauce pan. Then in a small fry pan I sauteed the onion, poblano and shallot. Then I combined the two, let it cool and put it on the cucumber....awesome!!!
Alright-- my parents had a ton of cucumbers in their garden that needed to be used. This recipe looked promising. I'm sure if I liked the flavor, I would have given it higher reviews. This is *exactly* how it tasted... bite, bite, sweet, bite, bite, swallow, big kick of spice. <br/>I would actually call this a tangy-sweet spicy salad. I would not make this again.
A big fan of cucumber salads, can't quite figure out how I missed this one until now. My version was made with Splenda for a 0-point (and Core) side to a Moroccan stew. The cool-spicy flavor of the salad was a perfect counterpoint to the fruity-savory blend in the stew. My only regret is I made a half batch (3 servings) and wish I made more as it will go quickly. No trouble, there are always more cukes to be had. Thanks Parsley. Made for *Potluck Tag*.