Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
This rich, creamy chocolate torte makes a decadent holiday or special occasion dessert. Creamy cheese layer, topped with a chocolate pudding layer, topped with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and almonds, all inside a pecan crust. Delicious!
- 1 cup pecans, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour or 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup Cool Whip, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1⁄2 tablespoon powdered instant coffee (heaping)
- 2 cups Cool Whip (remainder of 8 oz pkg)
- sliced almonds or hazelnuts, to garnish
- grated chocolate, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13x2-inch pan.
- In small bowl, mix crust ingredients, and press into pan.
- Bake until lightly browned (15 minutes).
- Cool completely.
- Beat ingredients for 1st layer until creamy, and spread over cooled crust.
- Combine ingredients for 2nd layer and mix thoroughly.
- Spread over cream cheese layer.
- Cover with remaining cool whip.
- Sprinkle with almonds and chocolate to garnish, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, cut torte into bars.
One of many variations on a classic we call "Panama Canal Dessert..." a little less chocolate pudding, more nuts than typical in many similar desserts. Unfortunately, we took it to a family gathering, applied the whipped topping there, and left the sliced almonds home. We did, however, make quick work of it once served. Made for Holiday Tag, August 2008.