Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from another site that states it is originally from the book, "Food Festivals Of Southern California--Travelers Guide and Cookbook", by Bob Carter
- 2 bunches celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, chopped
- 6 lbs red potatoes, diced
- 6 (32 ounce) cans minced clams with juice
- 3 tablespoons thyme, dried
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 2 tablespoons basil, dried
- 1 cup fish bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons white pepper
- 3 lbs butter
- 6 cups flour
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 gallon 2% low-fat milk
- Combine celery, onions, potatoes, clams, thyme, oregano, basil, bouillon, and pepper. Cook 30-45 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Melt butter and add flour and garlic. Stir constantly until slightly brown.
- Combine with vegetable mixture and add milk. Stir well and simmer until desired thickness.
- Note: You may use half and half for a richer chowder in place of the milk. Or use a combination of both.