Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
I got this idea after making the original stew named "Vegetable Beef Stew" from ChangingDiabetes-us.com. I noticed how similar the ingredients were to the "Hobbit soup" so I added a little here and changed a little there. I prefer to use fresh vegetables when I make any kind of soup or stew- just as a hobbit, wizard or man would! Also, I use tomato paste instead of ketchup- you make your choice. Note: Prep time is a guessaminet. Depending on if you already chopped up the vegetables the night before and what not. This stew would taste grand with steak, chicken (or rabbit if you choose), and/or tofu with beef or chicken stock -- mix and match however you fancy! I place the steak tips in the freezer for 30 minutes and cut of the fat before cutting the meat into cubes. You could also use ground meat instead. I would think you could prepare and cook on the same day. However, I chose to cut the vegetables the day before so prep time was a bit faster. Enjoy!
- Pam cooking spray
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb steak, tip meat, cubed, fat trimmed (optional)
- 1 (14 -17 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups purple potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup frozen tiny peas
- In a large pot sprayed with nonstick vegetable cooking spray, over medium-high heat, add olive oil. When hot, add steak tip meat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until browned on all sides. Remove steak and set aside.
- Add beef broth to the hot pot with water.
- Add potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, balsamic vinegar, dried thyme, pepper, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and add the steak back to the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is done.
- Add frozen peas and cook 2 more minutes.