Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are fudgy, if unusual brownies. Not super sweet, but sweet enough. Feel free to substitute any kind of nuts for the almonds -- the original recipe called for walnuts. Loosely based on a recipe from "What Every Pregnant Woman Should Know" by Gail Sforza Brewer, modified for a somewhat diabetic diet.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F Oil 9X13 baking pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat and add apple sauce. Stir and add vanilla.
- In a separate cup combine powdered and evaporated milk, and stir until lumps disappear. Add to apple sauce mixture.
- Stir in cocoa, mixing thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and pour into a baking pan.
- Bake fro 25 minutes or until a knife inserted 1/3 way across comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into pieces.
- Serve with cream cheese, ice cream or with milk.
- If you prefer a more cake-like brownie, add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder along with the salt.
these were pretty good with a little tweeking. I added some stevia (1/3 cup), some brown rice flour (1 cup), 1 teaspoon of baking powder and added an additional 1/2 cup of evaporated milk. I wouldnt consider them low carb but high fiber perhaps. Good when you need a chocolate fix!