Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are fudgy, if unusual brownies. Not super sweet, but sweet enough. Feel free to substitute any kind of nuts for the almonds -- the original recipe called for walnuts. Loosely based on a recipe from "What Every Pregnant Woman Should Know" by Gail Sforza Brewer, modified for a somewhat diabetic diet.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Oil 9X13 baking pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat and add apple sauce. Stir and add vanilla.
- In a separate cup combine powdered and evaporated milk, and stir until lumps disappear. Add to apple sauce mixture.
- Stir in cocoa, mixing thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients and pour into a baking pan.
- Bake fro 25 minutes or until a knife inserted 1/3 way across comes out clean.
- Cool and cut into pieces.
- Serve with cream cheese, ice cream or with milk.
- If you prefer a more cake-like brownie, add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder along with the salt.
these were pretty good with a little tweeking. I added some stevia (1/3 cup), some brown rice flour (1 cup), 1 teaspoon of baking powder and added an additional 1/2 cup of evaporated milk. I wouldnt consider them low carb but high fiber perhaps. Good when you need a chocolate fix!