Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
My husband made these last weekend and they were so yummy. One of the things we plan on serving for 4th of July.
- 4 (907.18 g) turkey drumsticks
- vegetable oil
- hickory wood chunks or hickory chips, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tart granny smith apple, peeled,cored,and thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml finely chopped white onion
- 236.59 ml apple cider
- 118.29 ml ketchup
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml garlic granules
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml cayenne
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- To make the sauce: In a saucepan, stir all the sauce ingredients together using a whisk.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes or so, until the apples are cooked and the sauce is thickened.
- Throw out the cinnamon stick; let sauce cool for 5 minutes.
- Puree sauce in a blender or food processor.
- Equally divide sauce into 2 bowls; set aside.
- To make rub: In a bowl or heavy duty plastic zip-top bag add all the rub ingredients; stir or shake to combine.
- Rinse the turkey legs under cold water and pat dry.
- Coat turkey legs with rub mixture; let stand for 20 minutes at room temperature before grilling.
- Spray or lightly brush turkey legs with vegetable oil.
- Follow your grill manufacturer's instructions for using wood chunks.
- Grill turkey legs over indirect medium heat for approximately 1 hour or until meat thermometer reads 180° when inserted into the thickest part of the meat (baste occasionally with sauce from 1 reserved bowl).
- Take legs off grill and served with sauce from the 2nd reserved bowl.