Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This came from my sister. She gave me the recipe card because she never made it. I think it's from one of those recipe cards that you sometimes get in the mail. Well the picture on the card looks phenomenal so I finally decided to give it a try. I used this cooking time and stuffing for the inside of the chicken and then used Ev's Roast Chicken from the recipezaar website as a rub for the outside. It was delicious.
- 1814.36 g roasting chickens
- 340.19 g package herb-seasoned stuffing cubes
- 236.59 ml water
- 44.37 ml butter (I used less, it's up to you)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 177.44 ml frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
- 56.69 g prosciutto (I used prosciutto just in thin slices) or 56.69 g baked ham, cubed (I used prosciutto just in thin slices)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85 ml dried sage
- 2.46 ml rosemary
- 29.58 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350. Place roasting rack rack in large roasting pan. Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels.
- In large bowl, toss stuffing with 1 cup water.
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, spinach, prosciutto, garlic, sage and rosemary into skillet; sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach mixture to stuffing. Stir in heavy cream and lemon juice; mix well.
- Spoon stuffing loosely into chicken cavity, filling about 3/4 full. Fold skin over openings and close with metal skewers. Tuck wings under chicken. Place on roasting rack.
- Roast chicken until an instant red meat thermometer, inserted in the thigh, not touching the bone, registers 180 degrees and chicken is golden, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- ** I couldn't get all of the stuffing to fit in the chicken so I cooked about 3/4 of the stuffing in a Pyrex dish in the oven while the chicken was cooking too!