Florentine Sausage, Ricotta, and Spinach Stuffing
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage or 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from day-old Italian bread
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sausage and Italian seasoning; increase the heat to med-high; cook, stirring often and breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the sausage mixture into a large bowl.
- Mix in the breadcrumbs, ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, eggs, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly buttered shallow baking dish; bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes.
- This makes a soft, spoonable stuffing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!