Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from my friends mom who used to make this for us all the time. It's absolutely delicious, but I'm warning you......it's very filling.
- 2 lbs cheese tortellini
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Make Sauce In large skillet cook the beef, breaking into small pieces; drain Wipe skillet and add 2 tbsp olive oil and fry onions& garlic until transparent; add beef to skillet Add crushed tomatoes, tom paste, crushed red pepper, bay leaf and s& p and mix well Bring to boil, then simmer for about 1 hr covered.
- If sauce looks too thin, remove cover and simmer Preheat oven to 400 degrees Cook tortellinis according to pkg directions Layer 9x11 or any kind of lasagna type pan with enough sauce to cover the bottom Add a layer of tortellinis and sprinkle parmesan cheese to cover all torts, add some more sauce, then torts, then cheese until all ingredients are used up Drizzle the heavy cream over the torts in a zig zag fashion-- DO NOT STIR Bake for 20 minutes in 400 degrees This serves probaly 8 people, but I'm entering it as 6 because I'm not exactly sure.
This was a very nice meal that we all enjoyed. The sauce needed some jazzing up, so I added some oregano, basil extra garlic, and sugar; and it was terrific after simmering for the hour. I also used mozzarells cheese in addition to the parmesan cheese. Loved the addition of the cream. This will be a regular at my house; thanx for the recipe!
Excellent! My husband is my toughest critic and he plowed through four plates of it! I had to double up on the garlic and red pepper just because the smell of garlic is wonderful and I like things HOT! But you are right, it is filling...lol...I managed a plate and two hours later it's still with me. Definately a keeper!
Wow, this was good. I made it for a birthday dinner. The cream in the sauce made it really rich and different. I did add a little bit of dried basil and it was perfect. Thank you for a great recipe and dinner. I know what I will make next time I have a special occasion.