Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Heffalumps? Heaven Lumps. Chewy, crispy, sweet balls of heaven. From the Family Circle Sweets & Chocolates book.
- Pop the corn. (heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Add popping corn and cover tightly. Hold lid of pan on tightly and shake occasionally. Cook until popping sounds stop.).
- Put the popped corn into a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar, butter, honey and cream in a small heavy based pan. Stir over medium heat without boiling until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Brush sugar crystals from sides of pan with wet pastry brush. Bring to the boil and boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup over popcorn. (warning super hot) Using two metal spoons combine thoroughly.
- When mix has cooled enough to handle but not set, form popcorn into golf-ball sized balls with oiled hands.
- Place on wire rack to set.
- Store in airtight container in cool dark place for up to 1 week. But who would want to do that?
10 STARS. . .FANTASTIC to say the least!!!! I used raw turbinado sugar and added a tsp of vanilla extract. I also added a handful of unsalted peanuts with the popcorn. Will DEFINITELY make this again!!!!! Ours never made it to the ball stage, as my DH and I stood over it and ate almost all of it for dessert LOL. Made for MAKE MY RECIPE.
I didn't form into balls, but this made good caramel corn. 80 grams of butter is approximately 6.5 TBSP. I used part brown sugar and added a tiny sprinkle of salt, and I actually made the caramel in the microwave. Just mix the ingredients together in a glass bowl or large measuring cup and boil in the microwave for 4-5 minutes, stirring every couple minutes until the caramel starts to thicken. I also added a tsp of vanilla extract and maple flavoring to the caramel sauce just before covering the popcorn. Then, to help spread the caramel, I used two baking sheets sprayed with nonstick spray and baked the popcorn in the oven on 300 degrees, stirring every few minutes until the popcorn was evenly covered. Great tasting caramel corn!
Love these popcorn balls & really love that they use honey instead of corn syrup. We didn't have cream, so we just put in 1 T of milk instead & they still turned out great.