Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a dangerous cake to have around, it's *so* delicious! for the members that live in Canada and cannot get heath bars use Hershey's Skor toffee pieces, sold in a 200 gram package. This cake has a sweet crunchy topping and is really easy to make. This cake is like no other, just make it and see! This cake can also be made in an 11 x 7-inch baking pan or a springform pan also.
Top Review by Alley Barbie
I've been making this recipe for years, it was one of the first recipes I learned how to cook! Never had an unsatisfied customer when this dessert is what is being served! Perfect for every occasion and easy enough for any experience level!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (well packed)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutes!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 (1 1/2 ounce) Heath candy bars, chopped (or use 1-1/2 cups Skor toffee bits)
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together flour, brown sugar, white sugar, butter and salt until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer 1/2 cup butter mixture to a bowl and mix in chopped Heath bars (or toffee bits (if using) mini chocolate chips and pecans; set aside.
- Stir in the baking soda into the remaining butter/sugar mixture (not the one that you set aside).
- Add in buttermilk, egg and vanilla; beat until JUST combined.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved toffee topping evenly over batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown and the cake tests done.
- Cool completely in baking dish and cut into squares.