Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a dangerous cake to have around, it's *so* delicious! for the members that live in Canada and cannot get heath bars use Hershey's Skor toffee pieces, sold in a 200 gram package. This cake has a sweet crunchy topping and is really easy to make. This cake is like no other, just make it and see! This cake can also be made in an 11 x 7-inch baking pan or a springform pan also.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (well packed)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutes!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 (1 1/2 ounce) Heath candy bars, chopped (or use 1-1/2 cups Skor toffee bits)
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together flour, brown sugar, white sugar, butter and salt until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer 1/2 cup butter mixture to a bowl and mix in chopped Heath bars (or toffee bits (if using) mini chocolate chips and pecans; set aside.
- Stir in the baking soda into the remaining butter/sugar mixture (not the one that you set aside).
- Add in buttermilk, egg and vanilla; beat until JUST combined.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with reserved toffee topping evenly over batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown and the cake tests done.
- Cool completely in baking dish and cut into squares.
I've been making this recipe for years, it was one of the first recipes I learned how to cook! Never had an unsatisfied customer when this dessert is what is being served! Perfect for every occasion and easy enough for any experience level!
My bf said that this cake should be illegal it is so good! I poured 1/2 of the cake batter then sprinkled a few chocolate chips, then poured the rest of the cake batter. Of course I added the Heath Bar topping too. Wonderful coffee cake!
Make this cake it's outstanding! easy to make, I made this with Skor bits, the topping on this cake is really wonderful! thanks Kitty