Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I have never made this recipe. Every year for many years a girlfriend of mine would make it for my birthday and it was my present! She has a new. very busy life now so I have been missing the ice cream cake for too many years. Found the recipe on the internet today and am so excited to have it! Even if I have to make it for myself. Cooking time is freezing time.
- 2 1⁄4 cups macaroons, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 5 Heath candy bars, coarsely chopped
- Layer the bottom of a 8 inch round springform pan with 1 1/4 cups of the macaroons.
- Spread chocolate ice cream evenly over the crumbs.
- Sprinkle 4 of the crushed Heath bars over the ice cream.
- Dribble 3 tablespoons of the chocolate syrup and 2 tablespoons of the Kahlua over chocolate ice cream.
- Cover with remaining macaroons.
- Top evenly with vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed Heath bars over ice cream, then the chocolate syrup and Kahlua.
- Cover and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, run the blade of a kitchen knife around the edges of the pan, remove the sides and place the ice cream cake on a serving platter.
- Slice and serve.
- Note: Place Heath bars in freezer until frozen.
- They are then easily broken with a mallet.
- Variations: Other cookies, such as chocolate wafers or vanilla wafers can be used intead of macaroons.