Recipe by Hollylu
A great hearty soup made with inexpensive ingredients and easy to put together on a busy day. It tastes even better the next day!
Top Review by Denise in da Kitchen
This is pretty good. I had about a half a head of cabbage I needed to use up so I decided to try this. I doubled the recipe and used a combo of ground beef, and hot and sweet Italian sausage totalling about 1 1/2 lbs. I'm glad I used the sausage, as I think it wouldn't have had enough flavor without it. All and all though it was a good soup that definately warms you up on a cold winter day!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb ground beef or 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb turkey
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups chopped cabbage or 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, undrained
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1 medium potato, cut into cubes
- 32 ounces of natural chicken broth
- 1 dash hot sauce (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion, garlic, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add ground meat and cook until brown, stirring to break up chunks. Sprinkle with sage and basil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well. Add cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted. Add beans, potato, carrot, chicken broth, and hot sauce. Cook until carrots and potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes.