Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a really simple, delicious, very filling soup that my entire family just LOVES. It is easy to make and it freezes very well so I usually double the recipe and have leftovers in my freezer for whenever I get the craving for it. It's pretty dang healthy, too! Just a little spicy but not unbearable- even my 4 year old likes it.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans (original)
- 1 (15 ounce) canranch style brand pinto beans with jalapeno peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces frozen corn
- 2 cups water
- Cook beef (or turkey) and onion in a large skillet until meat is done. Transfer meat mix to a large pot.
- Add ranch dressing mix, taco seasoning, and 1 cup water and stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients. (The easiest way to measure the corn is to pour it into an empty bean or tomato can before adding to the pot).
- Simmer for 1 hour, stirring ocassionally.
- Top with shredded cheese and serve with corn bread. Yum!
This was very meaty, spicy, and had a nice texture. I added chopped green onions on top of each bowl. Delicious!
This was pretty good. I couldn't find ranch style pinto beans with jalapenos, so I used regular ranch style beans and added a 4-oz. can of mild green chiles. I don't know if it was the taco seasoning or the chiles, but the soup seemed to be hotter after we thawed it out. So if it seems a little too mild when you first make it, wait until you thaw it again before adding more spice.
This is a recipe that I've made several times. I don't always follow it exactly, I vary the beans and types of canned tomatoes used, depending what I have on hand. Very good recipe that I will continue to come back to.