Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my version of red beans and rice. After searching through several and combining parts of many, this is what I came up with. It is probably not a traditional version. (I'm from Oklahoma, not Louisiana :) ), However, ever time I have taken this someplace, the dish comes back empty and several people ask for the recipe. I will often make early and then put it in a crockpot on low. It becomes very creamy when made this way. I usually sautee the veggies in a sprayed, non-stick skillet, but you can use 2-4 tablespoons of butter instead. This recipe doubles nicely.
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, being sure to add plenty of salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sautee the onion, green pepper, celery, garlic and seasonings until the veggies are soft.
- Stir in the beans and sliced sausage.
- Heat thoroughly then mix in the rice.
- Heat throughout and serve.