1/1 Photo of Hearty Hamburger Soup
1 hr 30 mins
Please bear with me as this is my first posting :-). Monday night is always soup night in our home and I'm often looking for recipes that are not too complicated AND my kids will eat. As usual no one recipe quite did what I wanted, so combining ideas from others I came up with this recipe and my kids loved it. Great comfort food for rainy days or cold prairie winters. I add extra ground cayenne to my bowl, for an extra kick and it's health properties. :D Serve with fresh, homemade bread or crusty buns. This recipe is very adaptable, as Chef Gusteau says... “anyone can cook !” =D. Please be creative to suit your own individual tastes as well as what you have on hand and feel free to share with me your changes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 potatoes, diced (or 2 c. Frozen hash browns)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 cups vegetable juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, etc.)
- 1Brown ground beef, garlic & onion; drain off fat,
- 2Add olive oil then vegetables. (add any preferred root vegetables here, parsnips, sweet potato, rutabaga).
- 3Cook 5-10 minutes to soften vegetables.
- 4Add can of consommé and de-glaze pan.
- 5Add can of tomatoes, tomato juice, water, soup mix & barley. Season as desired. (I used sea salt, pepper, sprinkle of cayenne and about 4 tbs of spicy spaghetti seasoning, Worcestershire sauce would be nice too). (Add black or navy beans for extra protein & fibre).
- 6Let simmer 45 minutes.
- 7Add frozen veg and simmer additional 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Hamburger Soup
Serving Size: 1 (573 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.6
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.1 mg
- Sodium 619.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: