Recipe by Just_Ducky!!
Please bear with me as this is my first posting :-). Monday night is always soup night in our home and I'm often looking for recipes that are not too complicated AND my kids will eat. As usual no one recipe quite did what I wanted, so combining ideas from others I came up with this recipe and my kids loved it. Great comfort food for rainy days or cold prairie winters. I add extra ground cayenne to my bowl, for an extra kick and it's health properties. :D Serve with fresh, homemade bread or crusty buns. This recipe is very adaptable, as Chef Gusteau says... “anyone can cook !” =D. Please be creative to suit your own individual tastes as well as what you have on hand and feel free to share with me your changes.
Top Review by under12parsecs
Wonderful, flavorful, filling and easily adaptable to whatever you have on hand! I made as posted DH and I both loved it (which is hardly ever the case with soup as he prefers cream-based soups and I prefer broth-based). A definite keeper and I can't wait to experiment with different flavors and veggies.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 potatoes, diced (or 2 c. Frozen hash browns)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 cups vegetable juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (1 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen vegetables (corn, peas, green beans, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef, garlic & onion; drain off fat,
- Add olive oil then vegetables. (add any preferred root vegetables here, parsnips, sweet potato, rutabaga).
- Cook 5-10 minutes to soften vegetables.
- Add can of consommé and de-glaze pan.
- Add can of tomatoes, tomato juice, water, soup mix & barley. Season as desired. (I used sea salt, pepper, sprinkle of cayenne and about 4 tbs of spicy spaghetti seasoning, Worcestershire sauce would be nice too). (Add black or navy beans for extra protein & fibre).
- Let simmer 45 minutes.
- Add frozen veg and simmer additional 15 minutes.