Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I concocted this recipe while on Weight Watchers. It is very low in fat, and full of fiber! It freezes well too. I keep it in individual servings in the freezer for quick healthy lunches at work. My family LOVES it! Hope yours will too! All ingredients are 'CORE' foods!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 15 ounces black beans
- 15 ounces light kidney beans
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans
- 15 ounces navy beans
- 15 ounces pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot, add oil, onion, and jalapeno. Saute over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and saute until onions are translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Add hamburger to pot with sautéed onion mixture. Cook until burger is done. Approx 15 minutes. *** If you use the 95% lean burger, there shouldn't be a need to drain.
- Next, add tomatoes, sauce, and broth.
- Drain and rinse all beans, and add to pot. Add spices, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.