2 hrs 30 mins
Carrie September's Note:
I found this recipe in a free Stop and Shop Publication. It sounded good and it was...I've changed a few things over the years but not too much, just enough to make it easier to make. I hope you enjoy it on a cold winter day just as much as we do! It is wonderful in a crusty bread bowl or with buttered biscuits(my hubbies favorite of course)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine or 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 teaspoon dried powdered thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 (10 ounce) container baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 lbs diced russet potatoes or 2 lbs idaho potatoes
- 1In a large 6 quart stock pot saute onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat.
- 2Place beef, flour, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag and shake to coat.
- 3Add coated beef to the stock pot and stir to brown beef.
- 4Once beef is browned add stock, bay leaves, sugar, wine, thyme, parsley, dill, mustard and worcestershire sauce.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Add carrots, mushrooms and potatoes, simmer for an additional 1/2 hour or until they are tender and ready to eat.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (564 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 552.8
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 1315.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 28.6 g