Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I find that this soup works best with only the chili macaroni flavor Hambuger Helper. This is a hearty soup that should be served as a main meal, with Kittencal's Parmesan Garlic Bread or Garlic Toast or crusty buns on the side! Adust the chili powder and chili flakes to suit taste.
Top Review by naydawn
This was delicious. It took a little over an hour from start to finish, so it's something you want to get started on early, but it was still a lot faster than most chili recipes. I drained most of the ingredients and added a can of beans to thicken it up. Great recipe, thanks for posting.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili (or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dryed chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and finly chopped) (optional)
- 5 cups chicken broth (or use 3 cups broth and 2 cups water, or use all water)
- 1 (220 g) package Hamburger Helper mix for beef pasta (use Chili-Macaroni flavor for this)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can corn niblets (undrained)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced and black olives (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot cook the macaroni from the Hambuger Helper package in boiling water until just al dente; drain and set aside.
- In a large pot cook the ground beef with onion, garlic and bell pepper until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, dryed chili flakes and jalapeno pepper (if using) cook stirring for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in broth powdered sauce mix from the Hamburger Helper and tomatoes with juice; cook uncovered over medium-low heat stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes (can simmer longer if desired the longer you simmer the soup uncovered the richer it will be!).
- Add in the cooked macaroni, undrained corn and olives, season with salt and pepper and simmer another 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and dollup with sour cream if desired.